9 lut 2011

Preparing for Tłusty Czwartek and what is serek homo



This year Easter is very late (24.04) and proportionally Tłusty Czwartek is on 3.03. So there’s more time to train eating pączki and faworki;) I’ve eaten a lot of pączki recently I must say that price doesn’t reflect the quality and taste. I’ve tried a wide range from the cheap A-petit in the underground passage in Metro Centrum to Delikatesy owned by Bracia Gessler or exclusive Embassy – Magda Gessler’s brand. Pączki for 1,2 zł are not only edible, but also tasty. Those for 5 zł disappointed me, nothing to remember. 2-3 zł is a normal price in Warsaw in local cukiernia (I don’t recommend supermarkets’ production).


Where you can try perfect pączki?


ul. Jarosława Dąbrowskiego 71 – one of the best pączki in Warsaw, with rose MNIAM!

ul. Hoża, close to plac Trzech Krzyży – great pączki with different fillings in the small old cukiernia

ul. Górczewska 15 – these traditional producers sell only pączki! Don’t wait for Tłusty Czwartek, because you will spend 2 hours in a queue

Also in the middle of ul. Chmielna you can smell fresh pączki from 50 metres, they are perfect when warm but after nothing superb.


With faworki it’s even more difficult. Faworki have to be crunchy and not white! But last year in Mokotów I found something which at least was close to my high expectations (because of my grandma's wonderful ones):

al. Niepodległości 119 A

Even though I’m an experienced cook and I never give up in the kitchen pączki and faworki intimidate me. Polish doughnuts are yeast-raised and I haven’t done a lot with this kind of dough. Also deep frying isn’t very pleasurable. BUT pączki are worthy any kind of effort. I didn’t want to throw myself in at the deep end so I decided to try the easier and very quick version firstly. They are called angielskie pączki but I have no idea why. Instead of yeast I used serek homogenizowany* (photo below. I like this producer).


* homogenized cheese. A very popular dairy product in Poland, something between yoghurt and cream. Our neighbours probably also like it. I have no idea how does it look like in the other parts of the world, maybe you could tell me?


The result? More like RACUCHY (I promise to do them soon) than pączki but fine.

Ingredients:

1 ½ glass of wheat flour
1 serek homogenizowany vanilla flavour (can be any different)
3 eggs
half teaspoon of baking powder
2 small spoons of spirit vinegar (I used spirit, because I hate vinegar)
2 spoons of powdered sugar
a lot of fat (oil, lard)
powdered sugar

Mix all the ingredients with mixer. Heat fat slowly. When it’s hot put the small amounts of dough into it (with a spoon or a teaspoon). Deep fry until they are golden brown on both sides. Sprinkle with powdered sugar or cover with icing. You can also add marmalade, chocolate etc.

Fast and tasty! Recommendable especially in the winter.

2 komentarze:

  1. Did you know that you can create short urls with AdFly and get cash from every click on your short links.

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  2. eToro is the most recommended forex trading platform for beginner and professional traders.

    OdpowiedzUsuń