15 gru 2011

Andrzejki - st. Andrew's Day

It’s almost Christmas but I would like to come back to November because it’s worth to write about an interesting tradition from the Central and Eastern Europe, still popular in Poland, especially at schools. On the 30th of November we celebrate st. Andrew's Day. Not many people know who was it and that it’s the last day of the year in the Catholic Church, but everybody knows that it’s a good occasion to learn something about your future ;)


On the previous day (night) young people gather and perform magic rituals. Now it’s usually organized by schools only for fun, nobody really believes in the results of the future telling. Even 6-year-olds can get to know the name of her/his future husband or wife. I have all good memories from my primary school :)


What do we do? Most customs are connected with love and marriage, for example:

- whose shoe will be first at the door, this person will marry as first
- you peel an apple and throw the skin – it will form the first letter of the name of your future wife or husband
- you write names of potential candidates on the small papers and put in under the pillow. In the morning you choose one and it will be this person.

The most popular and complicated is pouring hot wax through a key to water. Then you interpret its shape. The shadow on the wall pictures something that will happen next year.

It’s better to watch than to read, so I recommend you 2 short films: here and here.


For teenagers and older Andrzejki is a good opportunity to organize a party, dance and drink. Maybe you will also try it in 2012?

6 komentarzy:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  2. Thank you very much for sharing information that will be much helpful for making coursework my effective.

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  3. Thank you very much for sharing information that will be much helpful for making coursework my effective.

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  4. Thank you very much for sharing information that will be much helpful for making coursework my effective.

    OdpowiedzUsuń